Diabetes and Oral Disease
A Guide for Clinicians
This webinar will begin by reviewing the definition, classification, prevalence and risk factors for diabetes mellitus (DM). Laboratory tests to identify and monitor DM will be discussed, as well as the clinical manifestations of the disease. Pharmacological treatment of DM will be reviewed.
DM is the most important systemic disease that will be encountered in patients seen in the dental office, and the oral manifestations of DM will be reviewed in detail, including considerations regarding implant treatment for dental patients with DM.
A new approach to identification of patients seen in the dental office who are at risk for prediabetes and DM will be examined. Finally, the management of patients with DM in the dental office will be discussed.
Participants will learn:
- The definition, classification, prevalence and risk factors for diabetes mellitus (DM).
- How DM is diagnosed and monitored over time.
- The medical complications of DM.
- Pharmacological management of DM.
- The many oral manifestations of DM.
- How to manage the patient with DM who is a candidate for dental implants.
- How oral health care providers can identify patients in the dental office with previously unidentified prediabetes or DM.
Watch the webinar