ADA holds 153rd Annual Session in San Francisco
SAN FRANCISCO, Calif., USA: The American Dental Association reported that more than 33,000 attendees from 83 different countries came to the city on the bay for its 153rd Annual Session and World Marketplace Exhibition. The meeting, a gathering of leaders in dental practice, research, academia and industry, was kicked off on Thursday, Oct. 18, with the ADA Distinguished Speakers Series, featuring political commentators Robert Reich and George F. Will.
On the exhibit hall floor, meeting attendees were able to explore, compare and purchase the latest dental products available from more than 600 suppliers and service providers. Here is a sampling of just some of the many offerings that were available to meeting attendees:
- Aribex showcased its NOMAD handheld X-ray system. The company recently produced its 10,000th unit, which it donated to a humanitarian organization. “We’ve worked very hard to get to this point, and we cannot thank our customers enough for their continued patronage and support,” said Ken Kaufman, president and chief financial officer of Aribex. “We’re looking forward to many more exciting product achievements in the future.”
- 3Shape, a provider of 3-D scanning and CAD/CAM software, introduced its TRIOS digital impression solution for implant abutment cases. TRIOS captures implant positions and soft-tissue emergence profile in a unique dual-step workflow, thereby allowing optimal clinical and esthetical results. Using TRIOS digital impressions, 3Shape labs can directly design sophisticated digital implant models, customized abutments, and the final crowns in a straightforward and integrated workflow that is both easy and patient friendly.
- DentalEZ Group unveiled two new major enhancements for its top-selling StarDental 430 handpiece. The first enhancement is a new StarBright Plug n’ Play LED Swivel, and the second enhancement is the newest member of the 430 handpiece line, the 430 Satin. The new 430 Satin features the same durable stainless steel construction and superior performance that each handpiece in the 430 series provides, yet has an updated elegant new look. Dental professionals can now choose from either a high gloss or satin finish when purchasing their 430 handpiece.
- OralCDx2, available from CDx Diagnostics is an enhanced, second-generation version of its already powerful OralCDx BrushTest for the detection of oral pre-cancer and cancer. OralCDx2 includes biomarkers, cell cycle analysis and HPV testing, all of which is correlated with the presence of abnormal cellular morphology.
- HealthFirst offered Tru Align, a device that focuses on dental X-ray radiation and reduces the amount of exposure given to each patient (even beyond the level that digital X-rays provide). The device uses rectangular columniation to reduce radiation exposure in the dental chair. According to the company, it’s the first device of its kind in the market that addresses the as low as reasonably achievable (ALARA) standard.
- Zimmer Dental announced that it has received FDA approval to use the term “osseoincorporation” in describing the unique bone healing process made possible with its new Zimmer Trabecular Metal Dental Implant. According to the company, osseoincorporation refers to the healing potential of bone onto an implant surface and into an implant structure. The Trabecular Metal Dental Implant features an osteoconductive mid-section, formed from Trabecular Metal material, designed for ingrowth as well as ongrowth.
- Carestream launched its CS 8100 digital panoramic system, featuring the latest imaging technology, offering practitioners a variety of imaging programs to obtain high-quality images effortlessly for improved diagnoses and treatments. With its compact footprint, the CS 8100 can be placed in even the smallest spaces.
- Wykle Research offered new products for endodontic treatment. Calasept irrigation needles are dual-side vented, luer-lock irrigation needles that are designed to provide for safe and effective irrigation. The dual side vents optimize cleansing of canals, creating a “swirl” effect. The closed tip safely protects the apex. Also available from Wykle are new Calasept color coded irrigation syringes that are designed to eliminate risk when using multiple irrigation liquids.
- ReputationMonitor, available from 1-800-DENTIST made its official debut the ADA meeting. After being previewed to key opinion leaders and select dentists over the past month, the software — which displays all a dentist’s reviews, social media mentions and online listings on a single screen — is now being presented to the entire industry.
- October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, and many companies at ADA held special promotions to help increase awareness of the disease. One such company was Sultan Healthcare. A portion of the company’s sales of pink FlashTips were being donated to the National Breast Cancer Foundation. “At Sultan, we want to ensure healthy practices for our customers on a daily basis,” the company said in a press release prior to the ADA meeting. FlashTips are designed to reduce risk of cross contamination that can occur with metal tips.